Guide to completing Tier 4 (General) Student Online Application Form

Guide to completing Tier 4 (General) Student Online Application
Last updated 28 July 2016
When you apply in your home country for a Tier 4 student visa you need to register for and complete an
online application form (with the exception of applications made in North Korea where a paper form VAF9 and
an Appendix 8 need to be completed – follow the links on page above ).
You must have your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number from Oxford before you apply for
your visa. For information about receiving your CAS, see the Tier 4 webpage. You will receive an email with
your CAS number and other information you will need for completing the online application form. This email
is your ‘CAS statement’.
You cannot apply for your visa more than three months before your course start date as stated on your CAS.
You must apply within six months of the CAS issue date. If your CAS was issued more than six months ago,
contact your department or college to get a new one.
In several places this Guide refers to UK Visas and Immigration’s Tier 4 Policy Guidance which sets out the
exact requirements for a Tier 4 application. You will need to check this and follow the instructions very
Reduced evidence provision for designated ‘low risk’ nationals of Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana,
Brunei, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea,
Taiwan (holding Taiwanese passport which includes identification card number), Trinidad and Tobago, United
Arab Emirates, USA, and BN(O)s.
If you are a national of, and are applying in, one of these countries, you come under these ‘differentiation
arrangements’ and will not have to send documentary evidence of your qualifications and funding with your
application. However, you must make sure you have the required documents ready to send if you are asked
for them later in the application process. Your application could be refused if you do not provide the specified
documents within the requested time limit.
If you apply in a country other than your country of nationality you cannot use this provision and must submit
all the necessary supporting documents with your visa application. Your visa could be refused if you do not
include these documents.
The University of Oxford, along with a small number of other UK Universities, has been chosen to participate in a
pilot scheme for students starting a Masters course of 13 months duration or less. As part of the pilot scheme you
will not be required to provide evidence of previous academic qualifications or financial information when
submitting documents to support your visa application. You will also be issued with a visa valid for 6 months
beyond the end date of your course. Please note that you must still ensure that your academic qualification and
financial evidence meets the Tier 4 requirements and is available in the correct original format, as these documents
can be requested during processing and spot checks may be made. Please read these FAQs for important details
about this new pilot scheme.
Completing the online application form
Do save the document as you progress and make a note of your application reference number so that you can
return to it at a later date
When applying, be aware of the following options when selecting ‘Type of application’:
Tier 4 (General) Student: if you will be self or family funded, privately funded or funded by a
student loan;
Tier 4 (General) (Sponsored) Student: if you are going to be funded by an "official financial
sponsor", which includes Oxford or other university scholarships / bursaries, the UK government, your
home government (not including student loans), the British Council or any international organisation or
international company;
Tier 4 (General) (UK Government Sponsored) Student: only if you are the holder of a Chevening
Scholarship or Fellowship, a British Marshall Scholarship, a Fulbright Scholarship or a Commonwealth
Scholarship and Fellowship Plan.
Passport/Travel Document
Please note that you need one blank page front and back in your passport/travel document to
avoid the processing of your application being delayed or rejected
Write your name exactly as shown in your passport and CAS statement. Include middle/other names with your
Given name(s). If you only have one name, write it in the ‘Family Name’ AND ‘Given Name’ boxes.
Travel information
Date of planned travel to the UK.
Include your intended date of travel to the UK
Travel History
The answers will vary for individual students but as a guide to completing three questions we suggest:
Have you ever travelled to the UK in the last 10 years?
If Yes
List the last 5 visits to the UK in the last 10 years
Detail the 5 most recent entries into the UK
for whatever reason
Have you ever voluntarily elected to depart the UK?
Only relevant in the special context of a
decision to remove someone from the UK –
this would be No for most applicants
Have you ever travelled outside your country of residence,
List any trips you have made, for which
excluding the UK, in the last 10 years?
you have needed your passport (apart from to
the UK or any Commonwealth country). If you
have been resident for study or work in
another country, also list any trips made from
there. If there is a long list you can include
these details under ‘Additional information’ at
the end
Medical Treatment
We suggest that you include details and dates of any medical treatment received in the UK. We understand
that you are not required to include details of appointments with a General Practitioner (GP) or minor illnesses
but if you have received hospital or longer term treatment for injury or a medical condition you should supply
the information requested.
The information you need for this section will also appear on your CAS Statement:
Tier 4 Sponsor Licence Number
Name of sponsor
University of Oxford
Address of sponsor
University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford, OX1 2JD
Primary Contact No:
01865 286349
(Secondary contact no. and email address are not mandatory so can be left blank)
This section is asking for information from your CAS about your course, details of the title, level, etc. If you do
not have a CAS number, you cannot proceed with your application. For information about receiving a CAS see
Step 1 on our webpage. To be valid, your CAS must not be more than six months old at the time you apply for
your visa. If you are reapplying after a visa refusal, you will need a new CAS.
CAS Number
As given on CAS Statement being careful to make clear the difference between
any ‘0’s and ‘O’s and ‘1’s and ‘I’s.
Title of course
This should match ‘Programme Title’ on CAS Statement
Level of course
This should match ‘Course Level’ and ‘Qualification Awarded on Completion’ on
CAS Statement (the options may be slightly different to the way your CAS is
worded – if you wish you can include the NQF number as stated on your CAS
ignoring the letters QFC)
Start date of
If you will be starting a new course, use ‘Start Date 1’ from your CAS
If you will be taking a pre-sessional course or attending an induction
programme at Oxford before your main programme, use ‘Start Date 2’ from
CAS Statement if an earlier date has been specified there
If you have already started your course at Oxford and you are applying for a
visa to resume or continue, use ‘Start Date 1’ from your CAS Statement, which
is the original course start date.
End Date of course
Include the ‘Expected End Date’ from your CAS Statement
Same as Sponsor Address (use postcode OX1 2JD for look up)
Address main site
of study
For contact numbers and email you can input any college or department details
you have
Assessed by “other
New students answer “No”
If you are a continuing student and under the heading, ‘Evidence Considered in
Accepting Application’ your CAS Statement says “I confirm that the student is
progressing satisfactorily on their course”, answer ‘Yes’ and write in the drop
down box ‘Assessed on progress on current course’
(English language - continued with a table on the next page)
English Language
Look at your CAS, under the heading ‘English language assessment’ to find out which option you should
Option on the form
Information on CAS
National of a majority English speaking
If you are a national of one of the countries listed in
Appendix B of the Immigration Rules, as shown in the
passport listed on your CAS and that you will use for
your visa application, choose this option and pick
your nationality from the drop down list provided
Academic qualification equivalent to UK
degree, taught in majority English speaking
Include the title of your qualification and the country
it was taught in if this is included under the heading
“English language requirement” on your CAS
statement. You will need to include an original
transcript/certificate for this qualification IF your
English language assessment was based on a
different qualification from the one mentioned in the
‘Evidence Considered in Accepting Application’
section of your CAS. If you DO NOT come under the
reduced evidence provision this will mean submitting
two different pieces of evidence.
English Language Test
If a test result is mentioned on your CAS statement
include details of the awarding body, title, level, date
of the award and reference number. Please note
that this option is only used for pre-sessional English
courses at Oxford
Previous study as a child student (or under
the student rules that were in force before
31 march 2009)
If your CAS confirms that you have completed a
course in the UK as a child student include
information requested
Your sponsor is a Higher Education
Institution (HEI), and has made its own
assessment of your English language ability
If the CAS Statement states “Higher Education
Institution (HEI) sponsor has made assessment”
choose this option. DO NOT include language test
certificates or results with your visa application.
Your sponsor is an HEI, considers you to be a
gifted student and has waived the English
Language requirement
If this option appears on your CAS Statement please
email [email protected]
ATAS Certificate
Your CAS statement will state whether you need an ATAS certificate. For information about ATAS see Step 2
on our webpage. If you have a question about whether you need an ATAS certificate, contact your Oxford
college (undergraduates) or department (graduates) or email [email protected] If you do
require an ATAS certificate, you must get it before you submit your visa application – this could take 20
working days or more. You will receive your ATAS certificate by email – you must print this out and include it
with your application.
Maintenance and Fees
You must ensure you enter the correct information in this section and have the specified
documentation as evidence of your funding as set out in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance. For new
students this likely to be different to the evidence you provided to the University for your Financial
Declaration. If you come under the reduced evidence provision (see page 1) and you are applying in
your home country, you do not have to send documentary evidence of your finances with your visa
application, but you must have the documents available in case they are requested during the
processing of your visa. Note that the reduced evidence provision does not apply if you are making
your application in a country that is not your country of nationality.
Course fees
Copy the figure for ‘Total Fees’ given on your CAS Statement under the heading, ‘Fees and Payments’. Note
that this figure will represent your tuition and college fees for a maximum of one year, not the total fees for
your course if your course lasts for more than one year.
Have any of your course fees been paid?
This means payments that have been made towards the amount show as “Total Fees” and which are either
shown on your CAS Statement as ‘Fees Paid Towards Total’ or for which you have an original paper receipt
from the University or your college. Choose “Yes Paid to UK Education Provider” and include the amount
underneath if a figure appears here.
If you are a Visiting Student who is not required to pay any course fees direct to Oxford because your home
institution is paying Oxford, and you have £0.00 for ‘Total Fees’ on your CAS, choose “Yes - Paid to Overseas
Higher Education Institution” and then choose “Shown on CAS”. You might have to include with your visa
application a letter from your home institution confirming the arrangement.
Some continuing students are likely to have £0.00 for ‘total fees’ on the CAS. Put 0.00 on the form then
answer “Yes Paid to Overseas Higher Education Institution” and then choose “Shown on CAS”.
If you answered No and none of the ‘Total Fees’ have been paid, you must state that you can cover this
amount by answering Yes to the question ‘Do you have sufficient funds to cover remaining course fees?’. For
part payment of fees, you have to include the total amount paid and then the option of the evidence you are
You should choose the last option “Evidence is not required but held by applicant” if you are a national who
comes under the reduced evidence provision (see page 1). If you are not covered by the exemption
arrangements and you have paid a sum of money towards your course fees, either ensure the payment is
recorded on the CAS (which your college or department can update electronically even after your CAS
statement has been issued) or provide an original paper receipt from the University or your college.
Do you have sufficient funds to cover remaining course fees?
Answer Yes or No depending on whether any fees have been paid in advance to the University or, if you are a
visiting student, via your home institution.
Maintenance (living costs)
Currently £1015 a month is required for living expenses. The maximum amount you will need is for 9 months
(£9135) even if your course is longer. You will need to use this figure as a basis for living costs with this
Have any of your accommodation fees been paid to your sponsor? (The University of Oxford)
You can only state an amount paid towards accommodation if you will be or are staying in University
accommodation, money has been paid to college and:
this amount is shown on your CAS statement as ‘Accommodation Fee Already Paid’ or
you have an original official paper receipt for the amount paid from college
In both cases choose “Yes - Paid to UK Education Provider”, enter the amount below and choose how this will
be evidenced
Note that, even if you have paid a higher amount to the University for accommodation, you are only allowed to
offset a maximum of £1265 towards the amount you may need to show for maintenance.
If you are a Visiting Student who is not required to pay any accommodation fees direct to Oxford because your
home institution is paying Oxford, and this is explained on your CAS, choose ‘Yes - Paid to Overseas Higher
Education Institution’.
If you are not in University accommodation answer No
Do you receive support from a financial sponsor that meets the UK Visa and Immigration definition
of a financial sponsor?
Financial sponsor here means a body who is funding your studies (course fees or living expenses or both), who
is the UK government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation,
international company, university or an independent school. You may be receiving funding from another
source, but it will not count as an ‘official financial sponsor’. Note that if you will be funding your studies using
a student loan, you should give this information in a different section.
If you have an official financial sponsor, you will need a stamped, original, headed-paper letter from them
about the sponsorship (scholarship, award, bursary or equivalent) which meets the requirements in the Tier 4
Policy Guidance. If your financial sponsor is an international organisation or company we recommend that the
letter makes it clear that they operate on an international basis. If the University (Oxford) or your college is
your official financial sponsor this information will not be included on your CAS, and you will need to make
sure you have a letter.
Include the full name of the official financial sponsor (for example Clarendon Fund) and then the amount they
are giving you in total, followed by a breakdown of the amount for fees and living expenses. For partial
scholarships or more than one official financial sponsor put the total amount (there does not appear to be an
option to add more than one sponsor).
If your financial sponsor will be paying all of your course fees you have to state the amount you will receive. If
your financial sponsor is paying all of your living expenses, or as much or more than the amount already
stated, write the total amount in the next box. If you will only be partially funded for either course fees or
maintenance, write the actual figures as shown in your financial sponsor letter in the boxes.
Amount of any remaining fees and maintenance you have to show as ‘still due for payment’
For students with full funding from an official financial sponsor
Answer ‘No’ and then ‘Yes’ to “Do you have money in your own name?” You will then have to state “Original
letter from official financial sponsor’. There appears to be no way around answering this question when all
fees and living costs are covered by a financial sponsor.
There should be nothing left for you to have to show because:
You have an official financial sponsor who will be paying all your course fees or any outstanding course
You have an official financial sponsor who is paying all your maintenance (or at least as much as you
are required to show) or
You have paid an amount towards University/college accommodation as stated which is at least as
much as the figure you entered (note that you are only allowed to count a maximum of £1265 already
paid for accommodation towards this) or
You have paid an amount (of which you are allowed to count up to a maximum of £1265 towards
University/college accommodation as stated) and the balance you are required to show for living
expenses is covered by an official financial sponsor.
For all other students with remaining fees and maintenance ‘still due for payment’
If you still have to show evidence of funding, answer ‘Yes’ and complete the questions below:
for Course fees give the figure deducting any amount already paid and any amount covered by official
financial sponsorship from the figure on your CAS
for maintenance deduct any amount you have paid for accommodation (of which you are allowed to
count up to a maximum of £1265) and any amount covered by official financial sponsorship. If this
means the figure is less than zero, put 0.00
for the total remaining to be covered, add the figures for Course fees and Maintenance together. You
will need to be able to show you have this amount of money in savings or have a loan to cover it, or
that your parent or legal guardian will give you this money.
Answer ‘Yes’ to “Do you have money in your own name?” if you have the money you need to show as your
own savings, or savings in an account you hold jointly, or a loan in your own name.
Answer ‘No’ if you have to show funding in a bank account in the name of a parent or legal guardian and give
details of the evidence you are providing underneath. Note that you cannot show funding in the form of a
loan in the name of a parent or legal guardian and you cannot show funding from any other family member or
“What original documents have been supplied showing evidence of funds for the fees that still need to be
You must complete this section even though you are not sending in the documents. You will need to list the
documents you would provide if asked to do so and add “No evidence required (low risk)”.
Funding from your parent or legal guardian (see note above*)
If you do not have the money you need to show in your own or joint names, and want to show evidence for
funding from your parent or legal guardian, you must obtain a letter from them, provide your original birth or
adoption certificate or court document for guardianship. See Tier 4 Policy Guidance. In additional they must
also provide a bank letter or bank statement which meets the requirements as stated in the guidance.
Remember that if any of these documents are not in English you will have to obtain a translation which meets
the requirements in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.
Documentary evidence you must provide to show funding (see note above*)
If you come under the reduced evidence provision (see page 1) you may not have to provide supporting
documents but remember you must have the documents available to provide if UK Visas and Immigration asks
for them later. Note that the reduced evidence provision does not apply if you are making your application in
a country that is not your country of nationality.
If you do not come under the reduced evidence provision, list the documents you will be providing as evidence
for your funding – for example “Personal bank statements” or “Student Loan”.
You must follow the requirements for original evidence of funding as given in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance and
get translations if necessary. Only the specified documents will be accepted. Note: these requirements to
show evidence of funding for your visa application are completely separate from any requirements you may
already have had to comply with to fulfil your college Financial Declaration – do not assume the same
evidence will be adequate. The requirements for documentary evidence of funding are in the Tier 4 Policy
If you are showing evidence of money held in either your own or a parent/guardian’s account, you must be
able to show (as set out in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance) that you have held the required level of funding for 28
consecutive days prior to application; any documents must also be dated within 31 days of the date you
submit and pay for the application, otherwise your application is likely to be refused.
If you will be funded by a US Federal Student Loan, ensure you have proof of the loan and Notification from
the University’s Student Funding office. Send this with your visa application unless you come under the
reduced evidence provision (see page 1). Note that the reduced evidence provision does not apply if you are
making your application in a country that is not your country of nationality.
If you need further information about this, email [email protected] Remember that if the loan is
partial you may need to provide other documents as specified in Tier 4 Policy Guidance to show that you have
the balance.
Points Claimed
Enter 30 points for possession of a CAS
Enter 10 points for maintenance
Supporting documents – evidence of academic qualification
If you come under the reduced evidence provision (see page 1) you may not have to provide supporting
documents for any academic qualification upon which you offer to study at Oxford has been based.
Look at the heading on your CAS Statement, ‘Evidence Considered in Accepting Application’. If any
qualifications are listed here and you do NOT come under the reduced evidence provision (see page 1), you
are required to send in an original certificate or transcript for the award(s) listed.
If you DO come under the reduced evidence provision you are not required to send the original certificate or
transcript but make sure you have them available to send if UK Visas and Immigration request them.
You must have completed any qualifications listed; UK Visas and Immigration will not accept provisional
*NOTE FOR SOME INDIAN STUDENTS ONLY – if your CAS states “please note we have accepted the
provisional certificate as the degree is complete and awarded’ you can provide an original provisional
certificate as evidence of your academic qualification.
Look at the Tier 4 Policy Guidance to ensure your documents fully meet the requirements. If you cannot
provide the required original documents, contact your College (undergraduate and visiting students) or
Department (graduate and recognised students) for advice, including where qualifications that you have not
completed are mentioned. If any of these documents are not in English you must also send a translation in
the required format. Only send evidence for qualifications listed on your CAS Statement.
If your CAS states “Assessed on progress on current course” you are not required to provide evidence of any
academic qualification.
If you are coming to Oxford as a visiting student, your CAS may state ‘student has been assessed as competent
by the home institution – we have not required to see any qualifications’ and you are not required to submit
any evidence with your application.
In answer to the question “Have you been assessed by the sponsor by other means, for example references or
a portfolio of artwork’ you should choose NO.
Additional Information
Add anything here that you think is relevant to your application.
Sign the declaration
You must then sign the declaration- the date is automatically input.
Assistance with the online form beyond this point is limited (due to having to sign the declaration and pay) but
if you have any questions please do contact [email protected]
Once your application has been processed you will be issued with a short 30 day travel visa based on the
intended date of travel you include on your application form. You are then required to collect the full length
visa once you arrive in the UK. Information about collection has to be included on your application.
Where prompted, you will have to choose where to collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK (this
will include any BRPs for your dependants who are travelling with you). You can choose between the
Examination Schools in Oxford, the main Post Office in Oxford or another Post Office location within the UK.
TUESDAY 27 SEPTEMBER between 1 and 5 pm; OR
(Please note that there is no collection from the Exam Schools on Saturday 1 or Sunday 2 October)
Select the third box ‘ALTERNATIVE LOCATION’ and enter the code 2HE627
This option is recommended if you are arriving around these dates as space is limited at the Post Office and
there will be more staff available at the Examination Schools. Please also sign up here to let us know when you
might pick up the card so we can estimate numbers each day, you can change this time later if needed.
If you are arriving earlier or later than the dates above
Select the second box ‘SPONSOR ADDRESS POSTCODE’ and enter the postcode OX1 2JD
If you want to choose your residential address or a different location then please follow the instructions
although we strongly encourage you to use one of the above two options.
Further details about how to collect your BRP will be provided by the Home Office when your travel visa is
Biometric Appointment
The next step is to book an appointment to give biometric information at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).
Please follow the instructions from the front page of the application:
Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)
All applications for a visa longer than 6 months will require the payment of an Immigration Health Surcharge
(IHS). This will give you access to the NHS in the UK for the duration of your course. You will pay the IHS at
this stage of the online application process. Further information about this is available from the Home Office
and is also information on our webpage – see point 6.
And Finally.....
Keep a copy of the application and any documentation you submit for your own reference. We hope your
application goes smoothly. If you follow the instructions carefully to show you meet the requirements you
should not encounter problems. However if you do experience difficulties or your application is refused,
contact your Department or College or email Student Immigration as soon as possible.
If you think you have made a mistake on your application after submission and payment, please do not
cancel it until you have contacted us ([email protected]) and received advice on how to
Please note there is additional information about where to send your application pack from within the US. UK
Visas and Immigration in the US has produced a guide which includes the address in New York (do not send
your documents to the UK!) where the application pack has to be sent. You are also required to provide a
return shipping waybill and envelope. This must not be hand written but electronic: