Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form 1. Name of Property Inventory No. 15‐28 (indicate preferred name) Luther Moore Farm historic other 2. Location street and number 7201 Damascus Road not for publication city, town Gaithersburg vicinity county Montgomery 3. Owner of Property (give names and mailing addresses of all owners) name Gary C Martin et al Trustees street and number 7201 Damascus Road city, town Gaithersburg telephone state MD zip code 20882 4. Location of Legal Description courthouse, registry of deeds, etc. Montgomery County Courthouse Rockville city, town tax map GW43 liber tax parcel P489 36172 folio 45 tax ID number 01-01728548 5. Primary Location of Additional Data Contributing Resource in National Register District Contributing Resource in Local Historic District Determined Eligible for the National Register/Maryland Register Determined Ineligible for the National Register/Maryland Register Recorded by HABS/HAER Historic Structure Report or Research Report at MHT Other: 6. Classification Category x district building(s) structure site object Ownership x public private both Current Function x x agriculture commerce/trade defense domestic education funerary government health care industry Resource Count landscape recreation/culture religion social transportation work in progress unknown vacant/not in use other: Contributing 3 Noncontributing 2 buildings sites structures objects Total Number of Contributing Resources previously listed in the Inventory 7. Description Inventory No. 15‐26 Condition x excellent good fair deteriorated ruins altered Prepare both a one paragraph summary and a comprehensive description of the resource and its various elements as it exists today. The farmstead includes a vernacular side‐gable dwelling house, a log tobacco house, and a frame outbuilding. The dwelling house was built in two main periods. The earliest section, the southeast block, is believed to have been built by Luther W. Moore, about 1847. This section is timberframe construction and has a box staircase and large overhead beams exposed on the interior of the first level. The buildings were each part of the Moore farmstead however they were moved from their original locations about 1989 to their current sites. The main, front, block is five bays wide with a side‐gable roof. Luther J. Moore, son of Luther W., built the front section of the house between 1912 and 1918. 1 The large chimney on the south end of the main block had a free‐ standing stack, as recorded in 1974. A shed roof addition extending across a portion of the rear façade opens onto a rear deck. The house is covered with vinyl siding. A two‐car basement garage has been constructed underneath the southern portion of the house. The house was moved about 200 feet from its original location within the Damascus Road right of way to its current location. Located behind the dwelling house is a log tobacco house. Large square openings mark both eaves sides of the structure. A third, smaller square opening is on the west gable end facing the dwelling house. The roof is covered with standing seam metal. A brick interior chimney stands on the east gable end. The tobacco house was moved about 1989 from its original site northeast of the house. 2 A frame domestic outbuilding stands northeast of the tobacco house. The farmstead included both a smokehouse and a dairy when it was documented in 1974. A 1974 photograph shows the buildings stood behind the original south end of the house. The current structure, the larger of the two, was moved to its current location. The building faces north and has a front gable roof. Set on masonry piers, the structure is covered with weatherboard siding. And standing seam metal roof. A vertical board door on the north façade is held in place by three strap hinges. Located southeast of the dwelling house are two non‐contributing buildings. One is a side gable stable structure. To its north is a side gable structure with three open bays for sheltering equipment. A double crib barn documented in the 1970s is no longer standing. 1 Catherine Crawford. Date of oldest section based on land purchase, 1865 Martenet and Bond and 1878 Hopkins Atlas. Date of later section based on tax assessment records, 1911-1918. 2 Annotate USGS map 1944/1993; 1989 topo map; historic photograph. Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 1 Luther Moore Farm, view north 11-2007 Inventory No. 15-28 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 2 Luther Moore Farm, Dwelling House Main (south) façade 11‐2007 Inventory No. 15-28 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 3 Luther Moore Farm, Tobacco House 11‐2007 Inventory No. 15-28 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 4 Luther Moore Farm, Outbuilding 11‐2007 Inventory No. 15-28 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Inventory No. 15-28 Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 5 Luther Moore House showing original location with the Damascus Road right of way Michael F. Dwyer, 1974 photograph Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Inventory No. 15-28 Name Continuation Sheet Number 7 Page 6 Luther Moore Farm, View from Damascus Road Double crib barn, no longer standing Log tobacco house in background 1970 photograph by Steven Hawkins Source: Steven G. Hawkins 412‐521‐9399 8. Significance Period Areas of Significance 1600-1699 1700-1799 x 1800-1899 x 1900-1999 2000- x agriculture archeology x architecture art commerce communications community planning conservation Specific dates Inventory No. 15‐26 Check and justify below economics education engineering entertainment/ recreation ethnic heritage exploration/ settlement health/medicine industry invention landscape architecture law literature maritime history military performing arts philosophy politics/government religion science social history transportation other: Architect/Builder Construction dates c1847-52/1912-18 Evaluation for: National Register Maryland Register not evaluated Prepare a one-paragraph summary statement of significance addressing applicable criteria, followed by a narrative discussion of the history of the resource and its context. (For compliance projects, complete evaluation on a DOE Form – see manual.) The Luther Moore Farm is highly representative of folk building types and reflects the persistence of tradition in the Patuxent River area. The farmstead is significant for its rare surviving log tobacco house and vernacular side‐ gable dwelling house. The dwelling house is also significant as an example of vernacular architecture typical to that constructed in Montgomery County from the mid 19th century to the early 20th century. The early part of the house is believed to have been built by Luther W. Moore, about 1850. The Moore family later built the front section of the house, possibly as late as 1912‐1918. The property was a 108‐acre tobacco farm. Luther W. Moore’s father Henry Moore first acquired the land from Frederick Gaither, in 1842, part of tracts known as “Resurvey on Hartley’s Lot” and “Griffithsburg”. Henry sold 108 acres to his son Luther W. Moore in 1846 for $1200. Luther W. is believed to have built his house soon thereafter. He married Lydia R. Etchison in 1852. Lydia R. Etchison (born 1829) was the daughter of Caroline Etchison (Resource #15‐17).3 Luther W. Moore died in 1859. His wife Lydia R. and their son Luther J. inherited the farm. In 1880, Luther J. married Lydia E Warfield. They had five children born between 1882 and 1899: William F., Clifton H., Luther H., Ida May, and Russell G. Between 1893 and 1911, Luther J. added acreage to the farm in three transactions. The assessed value of the property rose substantially between 1912 and 1918 which is likely to account for the construction of the main block of the house.4 Luther J. died in 1927, leaving the farm to his wife Lydia and their five children. In 1930, Lydia is listed as head of household. Living with her were Clifton (single, age 43) and Russell (age 31) and his wife, Hatty.5 Lydia continued 3Deeds STS 2:309. BS 11:182. The house appears on the Martenet and Bond map of 1865. Sarah Brandenburg Farm, Resource 15‐17, Sandra Youla MIHP form, 2009. William Hurley, Etchison family history, p17. 4Deeds 797:17, JA 36:358, TD 26:31, 216:461. 1930 census. Tax Assessment book 1911‐1918, cited in Crawford op cit. 5 William and Ida May married and built houses across the street from the Moore homeplace. Both houses are Vernacular Gothic houses built in the second decade of the 20th century. Ida May Moore (1891‐1943) married Walter Allnutt (1888‐1979) and acquired land from Luther J. and Lydia E. W. Moore, in 1917. They constructed the Vernacular Gothic house at 6920 Damascus Road about this time. William and Pearl Moore acquired property from Luther and Lydia in 1916 and built the house at 24221 Laytonsville Road. See Etchison HD form, Clare Lise Kelly, 2009. Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Inventory No. 15-28 Name Continuation Sheet Number 8 Page 1 to live here until her death in 1940. Son Russell Moore and his wife Hattie retained ownership of the farm until 1961. After a succession of owners, the farm was purchased in 1979 by Gary C Martin. The property, now five acres, is still owned by the estate of Gary Martin.6 6Will PEW 9:250, cited in Crawford, op cit. See Lorin Farris, Chain of Title. Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Name Continuation Sheet Number 8 Page 2 1879 Hopkins Atlas Inventory No. 15-28 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Inventory No. 15-28 Name Continuation Sheet Number 8 Page 3 15/28 Griffithsburg or Moore House 1701 Damascus Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20882-3313 Lorin V. Farris Research – 6/2008 Deed 6357.168 Date January 1979 Liber 4175, folio 565 January 1972 Liber 3821, folio 268 June 1968 Liber 3389, folio 146 July 1965 Liber 797, Folio 17 August 1940 Parties James G. Duggins and Dora P. Duggins (wife) To Gary C. Martin and Deneen B. Martin (wife) David T. Cavanaugh and Elizabeth C. Cavanaugh (wife), James C. Cavanaugh and Pauline G. Cavanaugh (wife) To James G. Duggins and Dora P. Duggins (wife) David T. Cavanaugh and Elizabeth C. Cavanaugh (wife) To James J. Cavanaugh and Pauline G. Cavanaugh Marvin L. Burdette and Juanita T. Burdette (wife) To David T. Cavanaugh and Elizabeth C. Cavanaugh (wife) William F. Moore and Pearl Moore (wife), Clifton L Moore, Luther H. Moore and Louise Moore (wife), Ida M. Allnutt and Walter T. Allnutt (husband) To Russell G. Moore and Hattie A. Moore Land $15 ROW Highway 108 and Colonial Gas Co. Easement $10 40.0261 acres Griffithsburg Etchison Road and Damascus Etchison Road $5 1/3 undivided interest in and to the lands $5 9. Major Bibliographical References Inventory No. 15‐26 See continuation sheet. 10. Geographical Data Acreage of surveyed property Acreage of historical setting Quadrangle name 5.0 Quadrangle scale: Verbal boundary description and justification 11. Form Prepared by name/title Clare Lise Kelly organization M-NCPPC date street & number telephone city or town state 11-2009 The Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties was officially created by an Act of the Maryland Legislature to be found in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Article 41, Section 181 KA, 1974 supplement. The survey and inventory are being prepared for information and record purposes only and do not constitute any infringement of individual property rights. return to: Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Department of Planning 100 Community Place Crownsville, MD 21032-2023 410-514-7600 Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form Inventory No.15‐28 Name Continuation Sheet Number 9 Page 1 BIBLIOGRAPHY Crawford, Catherine, “L. Moore Farm,” Resource 15‐28, Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Sites Inventory Form, 8‐1982. Farris, Lorin. Luther Moore Farm, Chain of Title, Historic Resource File, M‐NCPPC, 6‐2008. Hurley, William. Etchison Family History. Kelly, Clare Lise. “Etchison Historic District,” Maryland Historical Trust Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties Form, 11‐2008. Manuel, Janet. Marriage Licenses 1798‐1898. Owens, Christopher. “L. Moore Farm,” Resource 15‐28, Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Sites Inventory Form, 9‐1974. U.S. Census, 1930. Youla, Sandra. Sarah Brandenburg Farm, Resource 15‐17, MIHP form, 2009.
© Copyright 2018 AnyForm