Form MED 1 Health Expenses

Form MED 1 Health Expenses - Claim for Relief
You can claim for Health Expenses via the Internet using PAYE Anytime.
For further information please visit
Name and Address
PPS Number
Return Address - If the address of your Revenue office is not shown below, please
check any correspondence you have received from Revenue to locate the address
to which you should submit this form, or visit and enter your PPS
number into Revenue’s contact locator.
The PPS number can be obtained from any correspondence
you have received from Revenue. If you are married or in
a civil partnership and are taxed under Joint Assessment
please quote the PPS number of the assessable spouse or
nominated civil partner.
Please read the notes on Pages 3 & 4 before completing
this form.
Year for which claim is being made
Receipts (and Form Med 2 if your claim includes non-routine dental expenses) should not be submitted with this claim but should be retained
by you - See ‘Receipts’ section on Page 3.
Individuals for whom you wish to claim
Please complete in all cases the names of the persons on whose behalf you paid or incurred health expenses.
PPS Number
In the case of a claim for an individual whom you maintain in a nursing home, please state their PPS number and date of birth.
PPS Number
Date of Birth
If you wish to have any refund paid directly to your bank account, please supply your bank account details.
Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)
Account numbers and sort codes have been replaced by International Bank Account Numbers (IBAN) and Bank Identifier Codes
(BIC). These numbers are generally available on your bank account statements. Further information on SEPA can be found on
It is not possible to make a refund directly to a foreign bank account that is not a member of SEPA.
International Bank Account Number (IBAN) (Maximum 34 characters)
Bank Identifier Code (BIC) (Maximum 11 characters)
Note: Any subsequent Revenue refunds will be made to this bank account unless otherwise notified.
I declare that:
s all particulars stated on this form, including income received from all sources, are complete, true and correct
s I have paid all expenses claimed and I hold receipts for all expenses which are available for inspection
s in respect of expenses claimed on this form, all refunds received to date from any source are shown and I agree to
notify the Revenue Commissioners of any such refunds received in the future
s to the best of my knowledge no part of these expenses will be voluntarily reimbursed to me.
Page 1
Tel. No.
Income Details of Claimant
Please enter details of Income that was subject to PAYE in the year of claim. If you, your spouse or civil partner had more then one
employment or Pension (Non Department of Social Protection) please list the total taxable Pay & Tax deducted and Gross Pay for
USC & USC deducted for each employment or pension on a separate sheet. Alternatively include your P60 for each employment
or P45 if not already submitted. In the absence of P60(s), the relevant details may be obtained from your employer.
Spouse or Civil Partner
Name of Employer or Pension Provider
Total Taxable Pay
Total Tax deducted
Gross Pay for USC
Total USC deducted
Total Income from other sources not subject to PAYE
(see ‘Income from other sources’ section on Page 4)
Details of Claim
Maintenance or treatment in an approved nursing home (see ‘Nursing Homes’ section on Page 3) (1)
Nursing Home
Name and Address
Non-Routine Dental Treatment (per Med 2) (see ‘Receipts’ section on Page 3)
Routine Health Expenses (see ‘Qualifying Medical Expenses’ section on Page 3)
(a) Services of a doctor or consultant
(b) Total outlay on prescribed drugs or medicines for the year
(c) Educational Psychological Assessment for a dependent child
(see note on Page 3)
(d) Speech and Language Therapy for a dependent child
(see note on Page 3)
(e) Orthoptic or similar treatment
(on referral from a doctor or other qualifying practitioner)
(f) Diagnostic procedures (X-rays, etc.)
(g) Physiotherapy or similar treatment
(on referral from a doctor or other qualifying practitioner)
(h) Expenses incurred on any medical, surgical or nursing appliance
(i) Maintenance or treatment in a hospital
(j) Other Qualifying Expenses (provide brief details below)
Total (a) to (j)
(1 + 2 + 3)
Deductions - (if none write ‘NONE’)
Sums received or receivable in respect of any of the above expenses
(i) from any public or local authority, e.g. Health Service Executive
(ii) under any policy of insurance, e.g. VHI, Laya Healthcare, Aviva Health, etc.
(iii)other, e.g. compensation claim
(Total Health Expenses less Total Deductions)
Page 2
Individuals for whom tax relief may be claimed
You may claim a refund of tax in respect of medical expenses paid or incurred by you, on your own behalf or on behalf of
any other person (no restrictions).
A personal representative of a deceased person can claim for medical expenses incurred by the deceased. Such expenses
are treated as if they were paid immediately before the death of the deceased person and form part of the estate. However,
if another individual has paid expenses on behalf of the deceased individual that individual can claim relief on the basis of
when the expense was incurred subject to the time limits listed below.
Qualifying medical expenses
The headings under which expenses qualify are listed on Page 2 of this form. You must have paid or incurred the amounts
claimed on treatment prescribed by or on the advice of a qualifying practitioner. Drugs and medicines can only be claimed
where supplied on the prescription of a qualifying practitioner.
Nursing Homes
If the claim relates to the year 2010 and subsequent years of assessment the nursing home in question must provide
qualified nursing care on-site on a 24 hour per day basis.
Maternity Care
The cost of providing routine health care in respect of pregnancy is allowable.
In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)
IVF may be regarded as treatment in respect of infertility and relief may be allowed in respect of the cost of this treatment
where the treatment is carried out by a qualifying practitioner.
Educational Psychological Assessment for a dependent child
Must be carried out by an educational psychologist who is entered on a register maintained by the Minister for Education and
Skills for the purposes of this relief in accordance with guidelines set down by that Minister.
Speech and Language Therapy for a dependent child
Must be carried out by a speech and language therapist who is approved for the purposes of this relief by the Minister for
Health in accordance with guidelines set down by that Minister.
Consumable products
Relief can be claimed for the costs incurred on products manufactured specifically for coeliacs and diabetics where this
expenditure is incurred on the advice of a qualifying medical practitioner.
Non-Routine Dental Expenses
You must hold a completed Form Med 2 (Dental), signed and certified by the dental practitioner when making a claim for
non-routine dental expenses. A full list of qualifying treatments is listed on the reverse of the Form Med 2 (Dental) which is
available from your Dental practitioner or from
Expenses that do not qualify
The cost of sight testing and the provision and maintenance of spectacles and contact lenses.
Routine dental treatment which is defined as ‘the extraction, scaling and filling of teeth and the provision and repair
of artificial teeth and dentures’.
Cosmetic surgery unless the surgery or procedure is necessary as a result of a physical deformity arising from, or directly related to a congenital abnormality, personal injury or a disfiguring disease.
Receipts for expenses claimed
Please ensure that you only claim for amounts for which you hold receipts (and Form Med 2 if the claim includes non-routine
dental expenses). Please do not send in the receipts (or Form Med 2) to Revenue with your claim. However, you must
keep the receipts (including Form Med 2) for a period of 6 years as you may be asked to send them in if your claim is
chosen for a detailed examination.
Deductions for sums received or receivable in respect of Health Expenses
You cannot claim relief in respect of refunds already received or due to be received from:
s Any public or local authority, e.g. Health Service Executive
s Any policy of insurance
s Any other source, e.g. compensation claim.
You must give details of such amounts and deduct them from the amount claimed on the claim form.
Page 3
Drugs & Medicines: From 1 January 2013 you can claim tax relief for expenditure of amounts up to €144 per calendar
month for prescribed medication. Expenditure in excess of €144 per month is recoverable from the Health Service Executive
under the Drugs Payment Scheme. The amounts recoverable for years prior to 2013 are as follows:
s 2010 - €120 s 2011 - €120
s 2012 - €132
Where an individual has been prescribed drugs or medication which are outside the Drugs Payment Scheme these should
be claimed in addition to the €144 monthly threshold. In circumstances where an individual is claiming for another person,
other than their spouse, civil partner or children, that other individual’s personal threshold of €144 per month should also be
applied to any amounts of related expenditure.
Income from other sources not subject to PAYE
Income derived from all sources must be declared (e.g. taxable payments received from the Department of Social Protection
(DSP) (including Illness Benefit for the full year and Maternity Benefit from 1/7/2013 to 31/12/2013), Investment/Foreign
Income or Foreign Pensions received). Please list details of this income on a separate sheet.
Year for which you claim
Relief is normally claimed for expenses paid in each tax year (1 January to 31 December). However, you may elect to
claim in respect of expenses incurred in the tax year even though they may be paid later. If you so elect, all amounts
claimed for the year must relate to amounts incurred in the year.
If your subscription year for medical insurance (VHI, Laya Healthcare, Aviva Health, etc.) does not coincide with the tax year
you may submit Form Med 1 for the subscription year. However, claims for subsequent tax years must also be based on
your subscription year.
Calculation of relief
Relief due for Nursing Home fees is granted at your highest rate of Income Tax. From 1 January 2009 relief for all other
expenses is granted at the standard rate of Income Tax.
Where to send your claim form
Completed claim forms should be sent to your Revenue office. Use any envelope and write ‘FREEPOST’ above the
Can I have my claim dealt with in a different Revenue office for confidentiality reasons?
Yes, if you do not wish your local Revenue office to know the nature of your medical condition you have the option of having
the claim examined by a Revenue office other than your local Revenue office. Please submit your claim in a separate sealed
envelope attaching your request clearly stating that for reasons of confidentiality you wish to have the claim processed in a
different office. Your local Revenue office will refer the claim to the appropriate area and advise you of the contact details for
your records. Alternatively, you may call in person to any of Revenue’s information offices, details available at and request the case be processed in an area other than your local area.
Any person who knowingly makes a false statement for the purpose of obtaining a repayment of Income Tax is liable to heavy
Time Limit
A claim for tax relief must be made within 4 years after the end of the tax year to which the claim relates.
Further information
Customers can get further information on or alternatively contact their Revenue LoCall Service (within ROI
Border Midlands West Region 1890 777 425 s
Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim,
Longford, Louth, Mayo, Monaghan,
Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Westmeath
East & South East Region
1890 444 425
Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois,
Meath, Tipperary, Waterford,
Wexford, Wicklow
s Dublin Region 1890 333 425 s South West Region
Dublin (City and County) Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick
1890 222 425
Please note that the rates charged for the use of 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.
If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland, please telephone + 353 1 702 3011.
Accessibility - If you are a person with a disability and require this form in an alternative format the Revenue Access Officer
can be contacted at [email protected]
Page 4